GLOBAL STATISTICAL UPDATE – XBMA Quarterly Review for Third Quarter 2013
- Deal activity was relatively strong in Q3, with global M&A volume of US$717 billion, marking the second strongest quarter of the past two calendar years.
- Strong Q3 performance was driven in part by Verizon’s $130 billion acquisition of Vodafone’s 45% interest in Verizon Wireless, the third largest deal in history. Excluding Verizon/Vodafone, Q3 deal activity showed modest gains over Q2.
- Cross-border M&A volume in 2013 is on pace to account for just over 30% of global M&A volume, down 6% as compared to 2012.
- Global M&A activity in 2013 is on track to reach US$2.3 trillion, slightly lower than the annual average volume over the last three years.
- Private equity deal activity in Q3 maintained pace with Q2 volume. Private equity deals accounted for 14% of global M&A volume in the first three quarters of 2013, an increase of 16% over the corresponding period in 2012.